Pages

My Fitness Routine (& a Fun App): Blogging Challenge Day 28








I'm joining Michelle over at Bigtime Literacy for the tail end of her Blogging Challenge.  Michelle shared an App in her post.  Click HERE to see what it's about!  In this post, I also "interjected" an App to show you how I applied watercolor effects on a photograph, as well as shared additional possible uses for the App.  If you get creative, it's an entertaining App that can be used for various purposes with your students in the classroom, too! :) 

Day 28: Health, fitness and general wellness: What are your routines in summer and during the school year?

Growing up, I played various sports, rode my bike, skateboarded, played "Kick the Can" with the neighborhood kids and, so on, to stay active.  All of these activities were considered fun, not exercise.  I still keep that mentality in my adulthood.  I don't hold the notion of movement being something to dread or something I have to make time for.  Being active and eating healthy foods is a lifestyle choice.  I choose these things because I know they make me feel healthy, energized and happy. 

Besides playing with my children, taking long walks in the neighborhood or hiking on trails when camping, my true passion has become boxing.  Yes, boxing!  However, it's not the type of boxing where individuals are hitting one another, which is originally what I thought when a friend invited me to join Knockout Women's Boxing Club (WKOB).  It's a partnership- one person holds the bag, while the other throws specific punch combinations, then vice versa.  Trust me, no one is getting physically abused.  Otherwise, I'd say, "No thank you."





Many of the WKOB Club members participate in various active events outside of the gym, one being the 5K Turkey Trot.  The picture below was from the 5K this past Thanksgiving.  It got the whole family up and out of the house together.  Despite the fact I looked like a member of CONEHEADS with my layered hats, we had a blast. :)



Needless to say, the group of lovely ladies I join for special events and see 3 to 4 times per week in the club is a one-of-a-kind group.  Everyone is so welcoming, friendly and supportive, which is why I love going so much.  Below are some of them I band together with to get my sweat on.  I'm in the center, back row.  (Okay, here comes my App "interjection"!)



Photo created with the Waterlogue App 
$2.99 in the iTunes Store 


Waterlogue can be used for school, too!
Some examples of possible uses: 
*My classroom- before and after the App- I updated my Twitter account with the "after" picture for an artistic header! 
 *Innovative way to showcase students in various centers











  Waterlogue App Icon



Okay, back to my post- Overall, my outlook on fitness and health is "Just Do It"...no matter the season.  You won't regret it!  




How about you?  What's your routine? 













6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the app idea! I will take all the direction/advice/suggestion I can get about bringing useful technology into the classroom! And I loved the picture about the lemons. Amen. I think the key is to get moving and stay moving. I was never athletic and maybe that is why walking "works" for me, it doesn't feel as competitive. Ironically though, I am pretty competitive against myself, trying to beat yesterday's time or yesterday's calories burned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in competition with myself helps me get things done! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love the group aspect of your Knockout group! Definitely makes it more fun to do stuff :-) And that app is awesome! Love that you used it for your twitter header - going to check that out now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for "Following" me on Twitter, even though I don't know exactly what to post on it just yet. :-D This Fall, I'll have lots of ideas, since I'll be with my Literacy Loving Gals team. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes, a mindset. And friends really do help!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends help make everything better! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. Come back for a visit sometime soon, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...