Pages

Have Any Pets? (with a splash of Technology): Blogging Challenge Day 9



I'm back for Michelle's Blogging Challenge!
Day 9: Share about your special furry family members: your pets.  

As you can see, he was a kitty of leisure.
My first "son", Oliver, was named after the 1988 Walt Disney movie OLIVER & COMPANY.  The main character, Oliver, was a homeless kitten who joined a gang of friendly dogs to survive on the streets of New York City.  

I got my Oliver when I was just out of college.  He was adopted from a shelter, hence the reason for his name.  The staff informed me he had been found in an abandoned building with a large gash across his head.  They thought a brick had come down on him. :( When I saw Oliver for the first time, he had a bandage wrapped around most of his face with only one eye peeping out from under the bandage.  He stole my heart immediately.  The staff guessed his age at about 3 months old when he was saved....twice.  First by the shelter, then by me. ;)  

He was my best friend.  I had him for almost 19 years, He recently had to be put down due to a stroke.  The twins wondered where he went. I explained he's up in heaven, in the sky.  Sometimes when we're driving, my daughter says, "Oh look!  I see Oliver in the sky.  He's in the clouds having fun!"  He is missed. 

He absolutely loved the water.
Jack became my second "son" when I married my husband.  He was the sweetest dog ever.  My husband fell in love with Jack the moment he met him as a tiny pup...with HUGE paws...almost 14 and a half years ago.  Jack was a Great Pyrenees.  He loved going on walks and having children ride around on his back.  Unfortunately, our own children never got to meet Jack.  He passed away one month before the twins  were born.  He, too, is missed. 




 We know we'll meet them again at Rainbow Bridge one day. :)


TECHNOLOGY:


On the lighter side of things...in case someone out there isn't familiar with the SKITCH and InstaCollage Apps, that's how I created my pet picture collage above,  Click anywhere on the App titles to find out more information from iTunes! 








I have access to 4 iPads in my classroom and use them with these two Apps  for various projects.  Examples for each App are shown below. SKITCH is great for many classroom uses and can be used in any subject area.  InstaCollage enables me to create fun "picture reviews" of what we've been working on in class during the week.  




Have a nice day!






14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your pets. They really are family members! I appreciate the Skitch recommendation--I'm headed to check it out. Have a fantastic day.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great! I'm glad I could help someone out there with an App recommendation. :) Yes, pets are definitely considered part of the family.
    Thanks, Alyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about your pets. I am not ready for the day when we have to put one of our beloved animals down. They are family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were two hard days, but life with them was worth it. ;) Thanks Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still get tears in my eyes when I think about my beloved dogs who have passed. They really are family, aren't they?!

    I mentioned a long list of photo editing apps that I hoard on Michelle's page, but I think I'll have to check out Skitch next. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets are family. It's true. ;)

      Oooh! I can't wait to check out the Apps on Michelle's page. Thanks for letting me know. Skitch is great. Check it out. ;)
      http://literacylovinggals.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Are you aware that you come up as a no-reply blogger, meaning I can't reply to your comments via email? You can change this in your settings. I'm not sure how it works when multiple people run the blog. You may have to designate one email address, but I'm not sure. Let me know if you need help with this!

      P.S. I'm your newest follower! :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for all of your emails trying to help me with this issue! I'm still looking into it. ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great name for your cat! I love the movie Oliver and Company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the picture at the top. Thanks for the recommendations for the picture apps.

    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could be of some help. By the way, I love the name of your blog! Very original. ;)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tech switch, because after reading that poem I got all teary and almost lost it. The tech info brought me back from the verge of tears. Beautifully written tribute to Oliver, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried deleting the Rainbow Bridge poem, thinking I may have gone a bit overboard, but it kept deleting ALL of my pics for some reason, so I left it. Sorry about the tears and you're welcome for the tech! Lol ;)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. Come back for a visit sometime soon, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...